To: Florida Department of Children and Families
Attn: Child Abuse Investigations Division
525 Mirror Lake Drive
St.Petersburg, Florida 33701
Child Advocacy Services
P.O. Box 10970
St Petersburg, Florida 33733
Help A Child, Inc.
4000 Gateway Center Blvd
Pinellas Park, Florida 33782
Mary Lee’s House
2806 North Armenia Avenue
Tampa, Florida 33607
Suncoast Center Inc. (Child Protection)
2960 Roosevelt Blvd
Clearwater, Florida 33760
SWORN COMPLAINT CONCERNING CHILD ABUSE BY THE ST PETERSBURG POLICE DEPARTMENT
(1) Harold Hempstead authored a book entitled “Used And Abused By The St Petersburg Police Department – My Life As A Juvenile Confidential Informant.” His book can be located at Crusader books
or Lulu Publishing
(2) In Hempstead’s book he writes about the St Petersburg Police Department having a history of using children under the age of 17 as confidential informants. His book also explains in detail how the St.Petersburg Police Department recruited a 13 year old to do confidential informant work. The police department assigned that juvenile confidential informant number 882.
(3) For decades, juveniles across our nation have been being killed as a result of their work as confidential informants.
In 1998 17 year old Chad McDonald was killed in California as a result of his confidential informant work. His 16 year old girlfriend was also kidnapped, held hostage and tortured for several days. During that time period she was also raped and shot in the face.
Cecil Calloway was 16 years old when he was beaten and murdered in 1982 as a result of his confidential informant work in Roanoke, Virginia.
Gregory “Sky” Erickson was from Estherville, Iowa. About a week after his first act as an informant he was found beaten and shot in the head in an abandoned farm house. His body was also set on fire by his killers. I believe he was 15 years old when he was killed as a result of his confidential informant work.
Brenda Paz was 16 years old when she was killed in Virginia as a result of her confidential informant work involving the Latin gang Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13).
Every child that the St Petersburg Police Department uses as a confidential informant, they place in a position to possibly be killed.
(4) The following documents which can be located on the internet show that Professors and a large quantity of people across our nation agree that law enforcement place the lives of children in danger when they use them as confidential informants. Additionally, the following documents show that law enforcement commit child abuse when they use children as confidential informants:
(A) Document Title: “Collateral Damage? Juvenile Snitches In America’s War On Drugs, Crime and Gangs.”
Author: Professor of Law Andrea L.Dennis
College: University of Georgia Law School
Date: July 1st, 2009
(B) Document Title: “Tragedies Of Juvenile Informants – Protect Children From Police.”
Author: Jie Liu
College: Ohio State University
Date: May 3rd, 2013
(C) Document Title: “Juvenile Police Informants: Friendship, Persuasion and Pretense”
Author: Professor Mary Dodge
College: University of Colorado at Denver
(Sage Publications Research Gate)
Date: March 2001
(D) Document Title: “Does The End Justify The Means – Use Of Juveniles As Government Informants, Helpful To Society While Harmful To The Child.”
Author: Charlotta J. Ransom
Company: HeinOnline (20 J. Juv. L. (1999)).
(E) Document Title: “The Use Of Minors In Law Enforcement Undercover Operations”
Authors: Judge Lee Sinclair and Attorney David L. Herbert.
Company: HeinOnline (24 Ohio N.U.L. Rev. (1998))
(5) The citizens of St.Petersburg, Florida have a right to expect the St. Petersburg Police Department to not abuse children and place the lives of children in danger.
(6) On January 22, 2019 I mailed a Sworn Affidavit to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission requesting that they investigate the St.Petersburg Police Department abusing children and placing their lives in danger by using them as confidential informants. I also mailed an Internal Affairs Complaint to the St Petersburg Police Department Internal Affairs Unit requesting that they investigate the matters explained in this complaint and take appropriate action against any police officers or detectives that have been using children as confidential informants. Finally I mailed St.Petersbrug, Florida Mayor Rick Kriseman a letter asking him to take appropriate action to stop St.Petersburg Police Officers and Detectives from using children as confidential informants. I also asked him to request that the DOJ and FBI investigate the pattern and practice of the St.Petersburg Police Department abusing children and placing their lives in danger by using them as confidential informants.
For an investigation to be conducted into the St.Petersburg Police Department abusing children and placing them in danger by using them as confidential informants. Also, for appropriate action to be taken against the St.Petersburg Police Department for using children as confidential informants.
Under penalty of perjury, I swear that everything stated herein is true and correct
Dated this 4 day of February, 2019.
Affiant: (Harold Hempstead’s signature appears here on original document)
Harold Hempstead, #577366
Northeast Correctional Complex
PO Box 5000